We were started by a Multiple Sclerosis patient, so we understand how important your Personal Data is and that it’s our responsibility to protect it. You can learn more about how we protect your data in our Privacy Notice.
This Site is owned and operated by Liberating Research Ltd (“company”, “us”, “we”); a company registered in England and Wales with company number 09761045. The registered offices are located at 20-22 Wenlock Rd, London, N1 7GU, United Kingdom. Liberating Research Ltd is registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) with registration number ZA142323 and are members of The British Healthcare Business Intelligence Association. Please note this website contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v2.0 (including data from the Organisation Data Service, Health and Social Care Information Centre, licenced under the Open Government Licence v2.0).
These Terms and Conditions were last updated on: 18th August 2021
- Acceptance of Terms and Conditions
- By accessing and using the Website (“www.liberatingresearch.com” or “www.liberatingsurveys.com”) or by becoming a registered member, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions and these terms shall take effect immediately upon your first use of the Website. If you do not agree with these Terms and Conditions you should not use or access the Website.
- We may update these Terms and Conditions in the future. If this occurs, you will be notified within your account the next time you login or via email. If you do not agree with any changes you should cease using or accessing the Website immediately.
- In order to join the Liberating Research community, you must be at least 18 years old and must fulfil at least one of the following criteria:
-Patients / Carers: You are a patient (diagnosed by a medical professional) and/or care for someone else with a medical condition. We reserve the right to verify the information you provide using the documents you upload or by contacting you to complete a phone-based eligibility assessment with one of our trained moderators. Patients and Carers are able to complete Activities as well as being able to submit content to the Condition Q&A and refer other users.
-Doctors / Nurses: You are a qualified and registered physician or healthcare professional. Physicians/Healthcare professionals are able to complete Activities as well as being able to submit content to the Condition Q&A and refer other users.
-Charities / Support Groups: You are a charity or support group. All registered organisations and charities can register under this user type. This allows you to create a profile on this website, so you can refer users and so users can select your organisation to donate their earnings to. Users within this category may also be invited to take part in surveys and research activities on a less regular basis.
-Others / Everyone Else: Users who do not match the criteria specified for the other user types can sign up under the ‘Everyone Else’ category. All users registered within the ‘Everyone Else’ category can refer other users, so the referred users can earn money for themselves and raise money for charity. Users within this category may also be invited to take part in surveys and research activities on a less regular basis.
For more information about how we use your data and how it’s protected please see our Privacy Notice.
- By joining the Liberating Research community, you agree to provide accurate and true information about yourself and your related condition/s (or the conditions of the people you care for or that you or your organisation treats or supports). This includes all information you provide as part of the registration process, Condition Q&A, research activities, surveys and any other information that you submit to Liberating Research in any medium. You also agree to keep all of your personal details up to date within the members’ area. In the event any of the information you have provided is incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete we reserve the right to suspend or terminate your account. In the event you are found to have submitted inaccurate information as part of a paid survey or research activity then, in addition to suspending or terminating your account, we reserve the right to cancel any or all incentives that are outstanding to you.
- Each member must have a maximum of one account and they must not permit any third party to access this account without the express written permission of Liberating Research Ltd. It is the user’s responsibility to ensure their login details and password are kept strictly private and are not shared with any third parties at any point. Duplicate accounts will be permanently closed and we reserve the right to cancel any outstanding incentives within these duplicate accounts. In the event of a dispute we may require proof of identity.
- You agree to notify us as soon as possible if you suspect there has been any unauthorised access to your account, or your account details have been compromised. In the event of a suspected breach we reserve the right to suspend your account until we are satisfied there is no further risk of unauthorised access.
- Members can opt out of Liberating Research notifications at any time or close their account from within the members’ area. You can read more about what happens if you decide to opt-out of notification or close your account within the ‘Your Notification Preferences’ and ‘Questions or Complaints?’ sections in our Privacy Notice.
- All user types can refer other users so the referred users can earn money and raise money for charity. You will find your personal referral link within the ‘Refer a Friend’ section in your account (or within the ‘Fundraising Page’ section for Charities/Support Groups). You can share this with anyone you think might be interested in taking part so they can register their interest with us.
- For certain Activities Liberating Research may also get in touch with you directly to see if you are interested in referring specific patients in return for a referral fee (the referral fee amount will be set for that Activities at the sole discretion of Liberating Research and will only be paid for new, eligible users who register via your referral link or specify they were referred by you, after they successfully complete the related Activities ).
- We will only accept referral contact details directly from you (instead of the referred user submitting their details to us directly) in exceptional circumstances. This will only be permitted if we have previously agreed a method that ensures you pass their information to us with their consent and in a way that is compliant with our Privacy Notice, or if we are satisfied they have specifically agreed for you to pass their information onto us and for us to contact them about participation in Our Activities. Please note that your referrals may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we remove their information from our database like any other person.
- Payments and Donations
- The amount of incentive (or “incentive payments” / “incentives”) offered for participation in a Liberating Research Activity will be notified to Members via official Liberating Research communications and will always be made clear before the start of a study. The method of payment and percentage of their incentive payments that the member would like to donate to charity (and the related charity) can be changed each time you take part in a study.
- If you fail to correctly follow any required instructions during a paid survey/research activity or you provide incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete information then we reserve the right to withhold your incentive payment (and you will have no recourse against Liberating Research Ltd in this instance).
- On successful completion of a survey a confirmation screen will be shown to you at which point the survey will be deemed complete.
- If a Member is terminated from a survey or research activity during the initial screening stage (i.e. they do not meet the eligibility requirements for participation that are checked at the beginning) they will be informed of this and will not be allowed to proceed with the survey or research activity. No incentive payment will be paid when this occurs.
- If a Member doesn’t fully complete the survey or research activity before it closes, then no incentive payment will be made. All surveys and research activities are open on a first come, first served basis, so as soon as the required quotas are reached the survey will close automatically. As a result, we recommend users complete surveys in one sitting to reduce the likelihood of this occurring.
- By registering with Liberating Research, you agree to donate at least 10% of your incentive payments to any of the Charities or Support Organisations that are registered with Liberating Research. You can update your nominated charity in the members’ area at any time and you will always be prompted to confirm how much of your incentive payment you would like to donate (and how you would like to be paid) before receiving payment for completing a study.
- We transfer your donations to the Charities and Support Organisations once a quarter on your behalf, once the related project is closed and once the charity/organisation has reached the minimum earnings threshold (100 GBP / 100 USD / 100 EUR or an equivalent to the GBP amount in other currencies). Your donation will only be made provided you have completed all requirements for that study and the study has been closed for at least 4 weeks prior to the payment date (otherwise the donation will be made the following quarter). In certain instances, we may pay donations to charities earlier than specified or before the organisation has met the minimum threshold at our sole discretion. If you have provided incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate data as part of the related survey/research activity, we reserve the right to withhold your payment and associated donation as specified in 4.2.
- All incentive payments and referral fees are paid to you as described in the ‘Your Payment Information’ section of our Privacy Notice (you can specify which payment method you prefer within the members area at any time and will be prompted to confirm this after you take part in a study, prior to payment). You will receive all related payments between 1 – 3 weeks after the payment was claimed (or occasionally earlier than this at our sole discretion). A study incentive is ‘claimed’ when you complete the related study and you confirm how you would like to be paid and the correct payment details, as well as your preferred charity and donation percentage if applicable. A referral incentive is ‘claimed’ when the referred user successfully completes the related study, the related study has closed and you have confirmed how you would like to be paid and the correct payment details, as well as your preferred charity and donation percentage if applicable.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your payment details are correct and up to date. In the event an incentive payment is sent to the wrong place (for example it’s sent to the wrong bank account or an Amazon voucher is emailed to the wrong address) we will endeavour to have this returned (and if we are successful this will be transferred to you minus any fees). However, this is not guaranteed and we offer no compensation if this occurs due to you providing incorrect payment information and accept no liability if the payment cannot be recovered.
- Any surveys, research activities, competitions or prizes, that include the transfer of additional Personal Data that is not covered by our Privacy Notice (either as part of a survey or research activity, or in any other capacity) will have their own terms and conditions or consent agreement which will need to be agreed to separately in advance of participation.
- We reserve the right to change the available surveys, research activities and referrals that users can earn incentives from and vary the incentive levels and referral fees at any time with no prior warning (excluding surveys or research activities that have already been started, which will always pay the incentive or referral fee that was presented to the user prior to their commencement).
- Incentive payments can’t be transferred to other member accounts and cannot be paid to members via any method other than those specified within the ‘Your Payment Information’ section of our Privacy Notice (or as specified for the survey in question).
- Your Activity incentive will be held on account until it is claimed or for a maximum of six (6) months following the completion of your participation in an Activity. Referral incentives will be held on account until claimed or for a maximum of six (6) months following the Activity closing. We will contact you to request your payment information once you complete a study. If you have not received an incentive payment within the timeframe noted in Section 4.8 of this document, it is your responsibility to contact us at the contact points noted in Section 15 of this document in order to resolve the missing payment issue. A reminder will be sent to you before the end of the six (6)-month period if you have not responded to the initial request for your payment information. At the end of the six (6) months, if you have not claimed your incentive, we will donate 10% of the study incentive to a registered charity of our choice and will retain the balance as an administration fee.
- We reserve the right to terminate any membership account that has not been accessed or used in any significant way for a period of at least 120 days. This includes accounts that have not completed a survey or research activity or asked or answered questions in the Condition Q&A during this period. In this event we will attempt to contact you using the email address or phone number associated with your account. If we are unable to contact you and your account remains inactive then your account may be terminated.
- Intellectual Property
- Except as may be explicitly stated, all intellectual property on the Website or any of its content including but not limited to all copyright, trademarks and names, service marks, text, graphics, branding, themes and website design are the property of or licensed to the owners of the Website or are otherwise used lawfully and with authority.
- You agree and acknowledge that in accessing the Website you do so only for your own personal use and benefit and that, except where expressly permitted, none of the content contained on the Website may be downloaded, copied, reverse engineered, sold, broadcast, distributed or used for any commercial purpose. You may however download and copy content from the Website for your own personal and non-commercial use (where this use is not otherwise specifically excluded).
- Confidential Information
- You undertake to treat as strictly private and confidential all information you access or receive from us whether from our website or otherwise relating to any Activity in which we are involved and not to disclose such information to any other person or use it yourself except as authorised or permitted by us in writing.
This obligation shall continue without limit of time but shall not apply to any information which you are required to disclose by law or any regulatory authority or which otherwise than by reason of any breach of this provision shall be available to the public generally without significant cost or effort.
- Content and Contributions
- We may from time to time change or remove any part of the Website or its content or any part thereof without prior notice and no liability is accepted for any such changes.
- None of the content of the Website is advice or a recommendation, medical or otherwise, and may not be relied upon by you in making or reaching any judgment, decision or conclusion.
- Where the Website or other methods provided by Liberating Research Ltd permits you or any other user to contribute content in any form (“User Generated Content”), including but not limited information you submit via our website, questions and answers in the Condition Q&A. recommendations, condition and medication history and any other information you have submitted, the following shall apply:
- User Generated Content may be displayed publicly on the website (such as user recommendations and Condition questions and answers) or elsewhere, however this is shown in aggregated form and we shall not create any material for display containing identifiable Personal Data of yours without your express written consent.
- We reserve the right to control User Generated Content which appears publicly on the Website and may remove without prior notice any User Generated Content which, at our sole discretion, appears to us to be unfit or inappropriate for any reason.
- While we will use reasonable and proportionate endeavours to monitor User Generated Content we accept no responsibility whatsoever for such material and for any distress, injury or damage which it may cause.
- You grant Liberating Research Ltd a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual and irrevocable right to use, distribute, reproduce, publish, translate, sell and create works from and display anonymised User Generated Content in any form and / or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology. Please see our Privacy Notice for more information on how we protect your data.
- Links to Third Party Websites and Resources
- Disclaimers and Liability
- Whilst we operate the highest level of security for all data (and most survey results are stored independently of any Personal Data), we make no guarantee or warranty of any kind, whether express or implied as regard to any of the following:
-The uninterrupted or stable availability, accessibility of the Website or any of its content.
-The suitability or compatibility of the Website or any of its content with any computer system, software or information storage or retrieval system.
-The security of the Website or its content, or of any information which you submit to the website.
-The absence of virus or malicious software or machine readable code anywhere on the Website or in its content.
- We disclaim absolutely and to the fullest extent permitted by law any and all liability for all loss or damage of any kind which may be caused by using or accessing the Website, its content or by taking part in surveys or research activities or making use of our services, howsoever caused.
- Nothing in these terms or conditions shall be construed or interpreted as to exclude or limit liability for our breach of Data Protection legislation or regulations or for death or personal injury which results from the negligence of the owners of the Website or any of their agents or employees.
- You hereby agree to indemnify and keep indemnified Liberating Research Ltd (including any assignees or successors and any of their directors, shareholders, employees or representatives) to the fullest extent permitted by law, against any loss, damage or liability (including legal fees) which results in any way from your use of the Website or as a result of a breach by you of this agreement or failure to abide by any of its terms including any use or breach by anyone accessing your membership account, whether with your authority or not.
- Healthcare Payment Disclosure requirements
- You acknowledge and agree that Liberating Research may be required by applicable law and regulation to disclose the existence of rewards redeemed, the terms of this redemption including financial terms, and the subject matter associated with each payment.
- In some instances, we may be required to share your Personal Data (e.g. your name, address, specialty/role (if a Healthcare Professional)), we may share this information in aggregate (if a Patient or Carer), or we may need to share limited identifiable information such as your organisation name if you are a Patient Support Organisation. By participating in Our Activities, you are consenting to the sharing of this information as required per applicable law and regulation.
- Our reward program is administered in accordance all applicable law and practices. Under these regulations, certain payments may be subject to reporting to the respective bodies, who will make the details available for public viewing on its website. To learn more, please contact us at:
Liberating Research Privacy Team
Unit 7/8 (1st Floor) Warwick Works
London E5 8QJ UK
+44 (0) 207 249 4461
- Adverse Event Reporting Requirements:
- You acknowledge and agree that Liberating Research may be required by applicable laws and regulations to follow-up with you if you mention an Adverse Event in the course of your participation in a specific Activity. We are committed to supporting our clients and the pharmaceutical manufacturers and medical device companies who sponsor such research engagements in responding to requests for follow-up on Adverse Events within the timeframe required the regulations which govern such matters.
- By participating in our community, you are agreeing to be contacted via phone and/or email outreach by members of our team in order to follow-up for additional details in regard to the Adverse Events referred to by you within a survey or research activity.
- You do have the right to refuse to provide additional details in regard to the Adverse Event including any Personal Data; however, a refusal does not override the requirement for us to report on the Adverse Event mention to our clients and the pharmaceutical manufacturers who have sponsored the research engagement. In case of a refusal, your Personal Data will not be released as part of the reporting process.
- Communications from the Site:
- Study Notifications: By registering you are agreeing to be notified about Activities that are relevant to you, based on the information you have provided. The frequency of these is dependent on the information you have entered, your location and the Activities that are currently available.
- Service Notifications: We will send you service-related announcements, which are not promotional in nature, on occasions when it is necessary to do so.
- Customer Service: Based upon the information you provide us, we will communicate with you in response to your enquiries, to provide the services you request, to fulfil payment requests, and to manage your account.
- Newsletters and Informational Emails: We will send you newsletters and informational emails approximately once per month or less frequently, if you have opted-in to this communication method.
- Jurisdiction and Severability
- All clauses, sub clauses and parts thereof shall be severable and shall be read and construed independently. Should any part of these terms and conditions be found invalid this will not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision or of these terms and conditions as a whole.
- These Terms and Conditions shall be construed and interpreted in accordance with English law and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
- Contacting Us
- If you have comments or questions about these Terms and Conditions, please contact:
Liberating Research Privacy Team
Unit 7/8 (1st Floor) Warwick Works
London E5 8QJ UK
+44 (0) 207 249 4461